Thursday, January 06, 2005

Probability and Me...!!

Probability...likeliness of an event to occur. That's how I know the word ever since i got to know the meaning of it. My preparation for the exams again caught me coming across this "mathematical" word in full swing. Problems like throwing of a dice, tossing of a coin, choosing a card from a pack of cards really brought back fond memories of good old maths lectures in college and it also caught me thinking on the "probable" effect it had had on me.
Well dunno how many people do remember equations on probability but still hope this sounds familiar...
P(A)= No. of cases in favour of A
----------------------------
Total no. of cases

Well so which would mean...

P(Me)= No. of cases in favour of Me
-----------------------------
Total no. of cases

Total no. of cases signifies cases which have been in favour of me plus the cases which have been against me. So life is always gonna be a mixture of some odds favouring me and some odds being against me but the common factor is ultimately going to be me....
So events are generally gonna signify the trials as in 'n'. The probability 'p' would mean the hits and '1-p' would mean the misses. So the probability of succeeding in the first attempt makes a "highly probable" event and probability of not succeeding at all makes and "impossible" event. So my mind generally keeps wandering between these two events but I generally choose to believe in the former.
So now I see probability in a different light....and I have always used words like "most likely", "most probably".. as in it has always been an integral part in whatever I have done but maybe subconsciously!!!
The word "probable" also gives a ray of hope or something to look forward to if taken in the positive sense. Its almost like how important winning a toss is in a cricket match...sometimes the toss is decided by the mere flipping of a coin....sometimes I just wish that I could catch the coin halfway and change the result....wow...that would almost mean like changing destiny...:-)!!! Or even the famous coin scene in Sholay....ah..that was some probability...;)!!

Finally I would just like to say...
The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just....

3 Comments:

Blogger Calvin said...

oh. my. god! you are SO a geek!! most probably. :-P

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arey yaar padhayi karna hein to theekse karo...itna bhi mat ulajh jao ki dusre bhi usmein ulajh jayein...Either u r not preparying hard for ur exams or u may be working(just thinking hard) too hard about it...jisse tumhara yeh haal ho raha hein:) I really wonder what will u be the happen to u once this exam is done...will u the same ?? oh ho probably not..u wont..u shudnt change..probably!!!
Enjoy!!;)

8:10 AM  
Blogger d4u said...

Hmm..whos this???:p

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home